You'll get paid to teach English online from home. And you'll get paid really well.
Even if you feel like you suck as a teacher!
Most of the time, people are capable of doing more than what they think they can.
Chances are, your abilities might surpass your own expectations.
How about you put this theory to test and check if you'll be able to teach English online to Chinese students?
Hey, you can also teach English online to Mexican students... Or you can teach English online to Korean students...
The possibilities are countless - let's discuss them, shall we?
Today, I'll give you tons of essential information about the best online English teaching jobs, is it possible to teach English online without a degree, and so much more.
All this and then some are coming up right now!
This post contains affiliate links, feel free to read my disclosure.
Why You Should Teach English Online From Home?
Because the year is 2020 and it's hard to ignore what's going on around the globe.
Considering these days is highly recommended to work remotely, the popularity of the tutoring jobs is increasing by the minute.
Make no mistake, the teaching English online jobs are more in demand today than they ever were before.
And that's not changing anytime soon!
But is the fact that these jobs are highly-sought enough to make you consider them?
Well, let's think together for a minute:
When a job is in-demand, that always results in a bigger payment and better working conditions.
So, we're talking about flexible hours, an opportunity to be your own boss, a chance to take a break whenever you want...
What's not to love?
If you feel the same way and if you would really like to teach English online from home, let's get into all the details!
What Are The Benefits Of Teaching English Online From Home?
As I've already mentioned, this type of online job is more than attractive for so many reasons.
How about I show you what some of these reasons are?
Here they come:
- You'll be able to make money without ever leaving your home - or any other place on Earth.
- No boss - being an online tutor can become your new full-time job.
- It pays well - the amount of your earnings may vary depending on the company you'll choose to work with.
- Set your own schedule - you're in control of how many hours per day you'll be keeping busy.
- Add "online tutor" to your resume - something like that could never hurt no matter what you may choose to do later on.
- New experience - teaching kids will be a new adventure, especially if you've never done anything like this before.
- Improve your teaching skills - you never know when they'll come in-handy again.
- Interact with people from different nationalities - how cool would that be?
Not too shabby, is it?
More Awesome Online Jobs You May Love:
What Are The Requirements To Teach English Online From Home?
OK, it's time to see who can actually become an online tutor!
Generally, most people believe that it's not possible to teach English online with no experience.
And if they do have some experience, then they're stopping themselves from trying the job out because they think that you can't teach English online without a degree.
Well, it turns out that those people are wrong:
Nowadays, plenty of companies will allow you to teach online even if you don't have a degree.
Isn't that the best news ever for those of you who really like the job but have no Bachelor or a higher degree?
While that's awesome, let's have a look at what you have to be able to do if you want to be hired.
Generally, you need to be fluent in English, own a computer, have access to the Internet, and a desire to work!
Keep in mind, different companies have different requirements.
Speaking of different companies...
4 Companies That Will Pay You Well To Teach English Online From Home
Truth to be told, there are many more than just 4 companies that will allow you to become an online tutor.
Considering the topic resonates a lot with my audience, I'll probably extend it further in the future.
For now, I've selected 4 websites to bring to your attention today.
You may wonder, why these 4?
Well, simply because I've done my research and I came to the conclusion that the 4 platforms you'll read about in a minute are offering the best online English teaching jobs.
And I think that my readers deserve nothing but the best!
That said, there is quite a lot of info about each of these companies I would like to share with you.
So, how about we don't waste any time?
First and foremost, there is a reason why I'm starting with VIPKID:
The company is considered the industry leader and a top choice for anyone who would like to teach English online to Chinese students.
It's no surprise that VIPKID is the number 1 company for Remote Jobs according to Forbes ( as rated by FlexJobs).
If you ask me, in case you're looking for a global online K12 education leader, you can't do better than VIPKID!
1) What Is VIPKID And How Does It Work?
According to their website, VIPKID is "an online education company that connects students and teachers globally through one-to-one personalized English language classes".
Founded in 2013, the company is already a leader in China's online education market. As such, it has offices in both the USA and China.
An interesting fact you may not be aware of:
Currently, VIPKID is one of the Top 50 Most Innovative Companies in the world and has ETS, TESOL, and National Geographic as its loyal partners.
Impressive, isn't it? But how does it work?
Firstly, VIPKID is a cutting-edge platform - as a teacher, you'll interact with your students one-on-one online. Fewer distractions are all you need to engage with the young learners easily!
Secondly, you don't have to speak Chinese - that's won't be required from you.
Lastly, your working hours will be super-flexible - you'll be allowed to teach on your own schedule.
2) Benefits, Requirements, And Salary When Working With VIPKID
Let's start with the benefits of working with VIPKID:
- Flexibility - no minimum hours or commute.
- Chances to earn additional rewards.
- An awesome community of nearly 70,000 teachers.
- You'll be invited to participate in local conferences and events.
Next, have a look at the requirements if you want to teach English online from home with VIPKID.
Here they are:
- A Bachelor's degree (or higher) in any field.
- At least one year of teaching experience (for instance, coaching, mentoring, or tutoring).
- Eligibility to work in the USA or Canada.
- Of course, you'll need a computer, a headset, and a high-speed internet connection.
Alright, and what about the teach English online salary if you choose VIPKID?
Basically, you'll be making between $14-$22 per hour. Plus, you'll earn even more from bonuses and referrals.
For a more detailed look at this company, feel free to read my VIPKID Review.
Moving on to the next one in this list - Qkids.
Similarly to VIPKID, Qkids will allow you to teach English online to Chinese students.
Make no mistake, just because Qkids is second on the list, that doesn't make the company any less worthy of your consideration!
1) What Is Qkids And How Does It Work?
Given the fact that Qkids exists since 2015, one could argue that the company is still relatively new.
However, you may want to notice that is developing with impressive speed:
These days, Qkids is one of the front-runners on the Chinese online learning market - it's teaching more than 800,000 students!
With that being said, here is how it works:
Generally, the company is focused primarily on educating children 4-12 years old.
There are no one-on-one classes. Instead, you'll work with no more than 6 students in each class.
Once you're hired, you'll go through training yourself.
To clarify, that's necessary because the company uses an interactive software program for the teaching process.
2) Benefits, Requirements, And Salary When Working With Qkids
First, the benefits of working for Qkids:
- Flexible hours - keep in mind, though: Depending on your geographical location, you may have to teach in the early mornings or late at night.
- Great opportunity to earn more - Qkids has an outstanding referral program. For every teacher who gets hired by the company thanks to you, you'll earn $100.
- No lesson planning - each lesson is about 30 minutes long, but you don't have to plan it yourself. No, Qkids has that covered with animation and slides.
Moving on to the requirements!
- You need to have a degree or to be in a University program right now.
- English needs to be your native language.
- Live in the USA or Canada.
- A computer, headset, and access to the Internet.
In addition, Qkids would like you to teach at least 12 classes per week, but no more than 38 teaching sessions.
How much does the company pay?
Expect to earn of $16-$20/hour, plus the bonuses if you use the referral program.
The money you'll be making will be delivered to you via bank transfer.
EF Education First
Alright, number 3 on our list of companies that will allow you to teach English online from home is EF Education First.
Quite frankly, there is a possibility that this company will surprise you in a really nice and unexpected way!
1) What Is Education First And How Does It Work?
I would like to take a second and explain something so there won't be any confusion:
EF stands for Education First - kind of a no-brainer, but still!
Now, EF has the longest history compared to the other 3 platforms being mentioned today.
Founded in 1965 in Sweden, the company has been sponsoring travel abroad programs through all of those years.
But ever since the Internet became such a huge part of our lives, most of the overseas exchanges have been taking a back seat in favor of the virtual classrooms.
Today, EF operates not in China alone - it has 500 schools and offices in 50 countries.
That's cool, but how does it work?
Well, EF doesn't teach only young children.
On the contrary, your future students can be anywhere from 13-25+ years old and you'll be able to educate them with your own teaching materials in addition to the ones you'll be provided with.
2) Benefits, Requirements, And Salary When Working With Education First
As usual, let's see the benefits of Education First for starters:
- You can live abroad while you teach - as long as you have access to the Internet, you're all set.
- More than a flexible schedule - you'll be working as an independent constructor, so you'll have the freedom to pick your own hours.
- Make a huge difference in someone's life - you'll get to interact with students from 100 nationalities.
Moving on to the requirements:
- A Bachelor's degree in any field.
- English has to be your native language
- Some previous experience - you'll have to show a certificate for at least 40 hours spent in teaching English.
- Background check - not at your expense.
- Lastly, a computer, headset, and good internet connection.
By all means, EF is quite serious about the teachers that will be working for them.
And how much the company pays:
Generally, you'll make between $12-$19 per hour (full 60 minutes, not the usual 30-40 minutes class hour).
Your earnings will be delivered to you via PayPal.
Keep in mind, you can think of EF as teach English online UK:
Currently, a teaching job through the company is available mainly for the USA and UK citizens.
Teach Part Time
It looks like we're almost done with the topic of how to teach English online from home.
The last company we're going to talk about today is called Teach Part Time.
Just so you know, this platform will deliver for you in ways the previous three simply can't!
1) What Is Teach Part Time And How Does It Work?
Needless to say, that's a company that will allow you to make money by teaching English online.
Your future students will be between 5 and 12 years old.
And yes, the working hours are pretty much up to you.
Forgive me if I'm a bit impatient!
But do you mind if we go straight to the most interesting part?
2) Benefits, Requirements, And Salary When Working With Teach Part Time
OK, I have a video that you'll probably enjoy watching, it's coming your way in a minute.
First, I would like to tell you the best part about teaching for Teach Part Time:
While some of the programs the company is offering may ask for a degree, most of them will hire you if you're just a University student.
Furthermore, having previous teaching experience is not required either.
Long story short, to start working and earning with Teach Part Time is much easier than with the previously mentioned companies.
What about the pay?
Currently, Teach Part Time will pay you between $14-$25 per hour, depending on your skill level.
Plus, you'll be allowed to work up to 20 hours per week.
There is an opportunity to earn even more thanks to loyalty bonuses and wage growth.
Hopefully, right now you're having a pretty clear idea what to expect if you want to teach English online from home.
Personally, I think all of these companies can be very beneficial for your income if you're willing to give them a chance.
All you have to do is pick one!
But that's just my opinion, what about yours?
Which one of the companies do you think is the best fit for you?
Do you have any questions on this topic?
If yes, you know what to do!