I can almost sense how exhausted Google actually is of being asked that question! Considering the number of people that are curious about how to start a blog to make money...
At the same time, though, Google is a search engine, right?
As such, it better suck it up and tells you how to build a profitable website from scratch.
Or I can do that as well! Allow me...
This post may contain affiliate links. See my disclosure here.
Would You Really Like To Know How To Start A Blog To Make Money?
It sounds like such a dumb question!
Actually, it isn't. Just think about it for a second:
According to the statistics, 380 websites are launching online every freaking minute! And this means that there are more than a BILLION of them on the web as we speak.
In other words, one out of every seven people in the world owns a blog.
A scary thought, isn't? Definitely gives you a pit in the stomach.
I mean, what kind of a website could you possibly come up with that hasn't been done before? Moreover, which blogging topic should you go for that hasn't been beat up to death?
Why should you even bother to go through all the hard work if you're destined to fail with so much competition? Maybe it's better to save yourself years of headaches and sleepless nights and just forget about it?
Now, I don't mean to be the party pooper, the one to shatter your dreams of carefree life to pieces.
Especially when there is a silver lining on the horizon!
Why Starting A Blog Is Not A Lost Cause
As I already said, the blogging scene is not that discouraging for newcomers even if the number of existing sites makes it seem otherwise.
And before you begin to feel like I'm not making any sense, let me tell you:
Basically, there are almost 400 blogs coming to life online every 60 seconds, there is nothing we can do about that.
However, a huge part of the blogs that have ever been created is not currently active. Meaning, their owners are not creating new content, updating an old one, or doing anything at all that resembles some sort of activity.
To sum up, if you think of those blogs as completely abandoned, you'll be entirely right - because they are!
By the way, when I'm saying a huge part, I do mean a huge part:
Ultimately, we're talking about a number as high as 85%.
Not that you need a further explanation, but still...
Only 15 of every 100 websites ever built are still active and working to some degree.
So, it looks like if you want to start a blog to make money in 2019 and beyond, you still have a fighting chance!
Is Blogging The Right Fit For You?
Just so you know, it's not my intention to play hot and cold with you here, leading you constantly to a good news-bad news situation.
That being said, there are still a couple of factors you should take into consideration before you decide to start a blog.
First and foremost, it's awesome that the number of sites you'll have to tackle in order to earn online is not exactly a billion, as you already know.
But let me ask you, why do you think 85 of every 100 blogs are being let go of from their owners? By all means, that's a huge number that should not be over-looked, correct?
Above all, what reasons could there possibly be to push millions of bloggers to give up?
Well, let's have a look to make sure that you won't be one of them, shall we?
Reasons Why Bloggers Quit
For starters, I don't know personally each and every blogger who abandoned a site at some point, lol.
Therefore, it would be impossible for me to explain to the last detail why a person chooses to go down that road.
Then again, I've been blogging for quite some time now. Moreover, I'm a part of the best blogging community ever, in my opinion. And that allows me to talk and connect with so many bloggers on a daily basis.
Sadly, I've seen a lot of them go, most of the time because of the following reasons:
- Not Giving It Enough Time - if you think that you'll start a blog and you'll make a full-time income with it in a matter of days, you better adjust your expectations fast. With rare exceptions, it will take you months, maybe, even more, to see any significant income from your blog.
- Treating It Like A Hobby - there is nothing wrong with having a site as an outlet of your thoughts. But you're not here for that, you're here to make money. And that's why you should look at your blog as a business and be willing to put everything that building a successful business requires.
- Unwilling To Go Through Trial And Error - hate to be the one to break it to you, but you'll fail a lot, especially at the beginning. Just like anything else in life that you're doing for the first time, there is a lot of learning curve involved.
- Being An Impossible Writer - you don't need an English Degree, but your content has to be readable to say at least.
Long story short, if you believe that none of those reasons will be able to stop you from being the next wealthy blogger, then you are good to go!
How To Start A Blog To Make Money - Step-By-Step Guide
OK, let's get this show on the road!
A piece of advice - don't rush while going through the steps.
In my opinion, the best you can do is to take your time when making your decisions.
After all, you're laying the foundation of what hopefully will become a source of your full-time income for years to come.
Plus, Rome wasn't built in a day!
1) Choose A Blog Topic/Niche
It's kind of a no-brainer this one, isn't?
You can't move forward with building your blog unless you know exactly what you would like to blog about.
Personally, I believe that the topic wouldn't be that hard for you to figure it out.
Firstly, because there are websites devoted to literally every subject you could possibly think of. Subsequently, no blog topic should ever be considered stupid or ridiculous.
Secondly, because once you know what you're doing, you'll be able to monetize your blog regardless of your chosen niche. Meaning, almost any blog topic has the power to bring you a sustainable amount of online income.
Important things to consider when deciding on a blogging niche:
- Pick something you're passionate about - or at least a topic you like well enough. This way, you'll be able to write about it for years without ever drying out of ideas. Remember, you don't have to be the biggest expert on it yet - you'll learn more about it as you go.
- Don't waste time researching "The Most Profitable Blogging Niches"- again, anything you blog about can make you money. As a result, don't jump on a topic you have zero interest in. If you go in that direction, eventually your site will meet its slow and painful death!
2) Pick The Name Of Your Blog
Just so we're clear, you're not buying it yet, just deciding which one is going to be.
Basically, when talking about how to start a blog to make money, choosing your domain name is the one step you shouldn't complete in a minute.
Most of all, because your blog name will be also the name of your brand and business. And that's something worth some time considering, right?
Now, a few guidelines to help you come up with the perfect name for your blog:
- Let it be short - if you ask me - the shorter, the better! Do yourself a favor and limit your name to 2,3 words, max.
- Don't go dangerously close to a name that is already really popular online - the last thing you want is your site to be constantly confused with someone else's.
- It has to end with .com. Period! - don't fight me on that one, it's just the way it is. Blogs which names end with .com are considered serious, professional, and business-like.
3) Choose A Hosting Service
Above all, there is a reason why I stopped you from purchasing a domain name straight away - some hosting services will get you one for free.
Speaking of hosting services:
By all means, there are only 3 hosting options that I can honestly recommend to you:
- BlueHost - the number 1 choice of every second blogger, that is a fact. With BlueHost, you'll receive a domain name for free, tons of professional email accounts, marketing bonuses and so much more! And it will cost you as little as $3,95/month.
- BigScoots - a pretty solid hosting company, offering 99,99% uptime... Nowadays, thousands of bloggers swear that BigScoots has the best customer support ever. Plus, it's even cheaper than BlueHost - you can grab a hosting plan for $3,55/month.
Ultimately, the 3rd option is the one I'm currently using myself. Chances are, you're not even aware of that possibility yet.
Believe it or not, I'm not paying for hosting. At the same time, the one I'm having gives me unlimited domain names, unlimited data transfer, instant DNS setup, free SSL and spam protection...
On top of that, it's super fast!
You may wonder, how is that even possible?
Well, the answer is Wealthy Affiliate - the online platform that will teach you how to make money blogging and affiliate marketing. Most importantly, it will do that for FREE!
You can read all about Wealthy Affiliate here:
4) Choose A Website Theme
Basically, I won't bore you with mentioning that after picking your hosting service you'll need to install WordPress (your blogging software).
Simply because most of the hosting companies offer 1-Click install of it.
In case you would like to know more, you can read my post on the differences between WordPress.com and WordPress.org.
Moving along, time to talk website themes!
Truth to be told, going through all of the options can be quite overwhelming and time-consuming, so let me save you from that:
If you would like to start with a free theme, go with Astra - it's super light and it will offer you a lot.
However, if you're willing to spend some money on a professional theme, my personal choice is Thrive Themes - I can't recommend it highly enough!
After all, today we're talking about how to start a blog to make money. Sometimes, to make money you have to give money, correct?
And investing in a premium theme that will make you look like a pro blogger from the start is a smart move in my opinion.
5) Write Your First Blog Post
It so on!
Finally, you're in a position to be able to earn from your content.
Meaning, no matter what your first article is going to be about, you can always try to monetize it.
How about affiliate marketing?
For instance, if you're writing a review, you can mention a product that you like, trust, and believe that will be valuable for your audience.
Need any help with putting together your first blog post? Then read how you can write content that will convert into sales.
How To Start A Blog To Make Money - My Closing
Coming this far, I feel confident that you're all set and ready to go!
A few more things I would like to mention in case you need more assistance:
Firstly, for a more detailed look at the process of launching a blog, take a minute to read my Checklist For Starting A Blog.
Secondly, if the thought of building your own online business gives you a headache, My Free Guide will save you a lot of time and effort.
Lastly, if there is anything you don't quite get or you have questions, let me know by leaving a comment below.